Main Purpose of the Job:
The Edge Platform Developer is responsible for designing, developing and testing software for Linux-based and Google Distributed Cloud Virtual (GDCv)-based RAN edge servers to host high throughput encrypted data services for Dense Air’s innovative 5G small cell products.
The role requires a mix of application software development skills, understanding of the Linux and GDCv operating systems and best practice methods to orchestrate operating system and software installs onto such systems.
Don’t know much about GDCv? Don’t worry, we realise this is a rare skill in the market, and we can support you to learn this as long as you have a good grounding in Kubernetes and Linux server environments.
- Design, build and unit test software applications to run on Linux-based and GDCv-based RAN edge servers
- Design, develop and test Linux system configurations optimised for a high throughput IPSEC endpoint
- Design, develop and test orchestration systems to manage configuration and software installs on the RAN edge servers
- Work with third party software teams to integrate their deliverables into the solution.
- Create and maintain relevant design documentation in accordance with project requirements.
- Follow Agile software development lifecycles and QA procedures
- Use of Jira and Bitbucket development tools.
- Participate in design and code reviews during the development process
- Other duties appropriate to the post as may be assigned from time to time by the Head of Software
Education and Experience:
- Three or more years of experience in developing back end software applications to run in a containerised environment. Our current preferred languages are C++ or Python but others may be considered as the team grows.
- Hands on experience in setting up and managing Kubernetes or Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE) orchestration systems
- Prior experience in tuning Linux servers for high bandwidth, low latency traffic
- Understanding of Linux server hardening principles and industry standards
- Hands on experience of configuring and integrating a 3rd party IPSEC client/server on Linux
- Hands on experience in configuring and remotely administrating Linux servers running Centos or similar distros
- Familiarity with Google Anthos and/or Google Distributed Cloud
- Understanding of 3GPP telecommunications architecture
- Strong analytical skills and ability to deliver
- Able to schedule and prioritise own work and react positively to issues occurring
- Able to present information in a clear and concise way to peers and managers
- Able to explore and analyse complex inter-related systems, with a willingness to engage in topics outside the scope of the primary task
Equality and Diversity
Dense Air is an equal opportunities employer. We have a diverse and inclusive culture, respecting everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, trade union membership (or non-membership).